Friday, January 11, 2008

The Deadly Kiss of Plagiarism

The deadly kiss of plagiarism, dear Big Cats, stalks the romance publishing world currently. So, today beneath the sapphire-tinted cloud-streaming skies of the cattle prairie, the Kougar offers her comment from the Passionate Ink forum. For a complete viewing of perspectives on this volatile issue check out the forum as a guest.

When I was attending Junior College way back when, I was accused of plagiarism. It about killed my soul, since I was utterly innocent. I cried for hours in the student union. It's left a scar I can't ever seem to get rid of...mostly because people didn't believe I was innocent, no matter what fact I presented to them, what truthful explanation.
Truthfully, it's made me leery of trusting anyone over this issue, so I go to extreme lengths to keep absolutely everything I've ever written, hand-written, dated, etc. Just in case.
I'm not certain how I come down on the issue with Cassie Edwards. I'd like more info on the whole matter. However, in the case of the RWA, if she's not a member, as they stated, why are they responsible for anything other than stating their policy, which they did.
Like Lauren stated, the real issue gets lost in the shark-feeding frenzy -- sorry, Lauren, if I just plagiarized you. I admit! I admit! I admit it! Sorry, overly dramatic here. Just to say I agree with you about the real issue getting lost in the whole soap opera melee'.
I also have to agree with Barry's view, why get all nit picky about every little thing. Now if some one's scene is quoted verbatim, or so close it's obvious, that's another matter. Although I've read stories where the scenes were so similar someone could have accused one author of plagiarism.
Maybe Ms. Edwards will simply get a career boost from all this discussion. You know, unfortunately being on the fast track of elderly -- which I absolutely despise -- I'm sorry, but sometimes your brain, your ability to think and know things does change. I would blame her editors more than anybody. For all we know she asked what was appropriate in the use of non-fictional research, and was told what was legal, then followed that advice. If it is strictly legal, okay, you can have a moral objection and not read her books. But to be so vicious, I'm sorry, you need to show really dishonest intent here. IMHO.
Regarding Ms. Roberts, yes, she's been through the mill on plagiarism when Janet 'I forgot her last name' did plagiarize one of her love scenes, and eventually admitted it.That's where Robin's wisdom comes into the discussion. Hey, there are only so many plots, titles, ways of description -- and when you describe a love scene or anything going on in the story, too far out of the box, you can't sell. I know I live that road everyday.

Big Lovely Kitties, for an insider's view of the literary agent from Kelly Mortimer, run on over to Title Magic. Moi's probably unpopular comment is below, as well as a response to Holli on the previous day's blog.

Kelly, you sound like one heck of an agent! I wish...but as a reader I absolutely HATE the way the word 'said' is used these days. So I don't use it. Ever! Except in the dialogue itself. Or in a parody situation such as 'he said, she said'.I'm hoping readers and reviews will be open to my way of tagging dialogue scenes, as I do in ALL SHADES OF BLUE PARADISE. For authors who are okay with e-publishing maybe Siren Publishing will give you a shot at another way of writing. Like they are me.

Holli, you and I could have been blood sisters! I devoured every Walter Farley I could get my little grubby paws on! And wanted to race horses too. Fortunately I did get my half-Arab filly, Pride, and she was fast! clocked her at 40 mph once, riding bareback.


Blue sapphire sky kisses from the Kougar...

No comments: