Monday, January 14, 2008

Meow! Scratch! Hiss! Ripping and Shredding the Critique

Mystic Kat Video...there it was 'frozen'! the blog, when the Kougar clicked to her blogger dashboard. The angel cats are speaking and *meow moi* wishes she heard their messages yowling-louder, since her overall state of mind is complete confusion in our current time upon dear Mother Earth. Perhaps, they merely announce their kitty divine presence?
So, off to play huntress in the small city and the Kougaress spied three squirrels, one of them with amazing red-orange belly fur. That's the magic shaman number, three. Stock up, store the nuts, prepare -- zip about, tail flitting rapidly, and perky as a human on a Starbuck coffee diet. Perhaps, that is rumbling moi's message. Caffeine, and lots of it. Purring ha-ha...right!
The Kougaress uses the jump-boost of caffeine sparingly, since she is sensitive to it, and loathes that nasty buzzy head thing.
Ah...Shaman Kat...come one, come all, the Kougaress shall divine your future for you. A question, one or two, and the sacred Kat of Delphi will seek the wisdom and guidance of the Great and Wise Bast for you.
Swami Kat? Just don't put any goldfish in the crystal ball. Or use the goldfish bowl for a crystal gazing ball.
Apologies, swami shaman kat moi, is traveling the wild plains of her imagination. It is a five day in her defense. Five -- the number of adventure, fun, just plain silliness, chaos -- good or bad. Or Indian Jones on a good whip-cracking day.

And the cage battle over 'said' continues, demonstrating once again, Dear Big Cats, why the Kougar does not have a critique partner, nor a critique group. Given that, evidently, the word 'said' is sacred and should never tumble from it's forever pedestal of good and profound novel writing. Meow! Scratch! Hiss! Arching of feline backs -- and it ain't even Halloween.
Oh, yes, when in a relaxed kitty state, stride on over to Title Magic for Lexie's blog about her romance chapter...and yes, Lexie, the Kougar would adore joining you and your chapter at the Beach Retreat...if only...

No, Savanna, you are right, I haven't read your writing. And I hope you don't think by my comments I was judging your books. I just was in disagreement with how you viewed the word 'said.'To me, it is invisible and a necessity in my writing. Perhaps my style is much different than yours.I am only commenting on my experience with reading books that use anything *but* said or adverb+said. I find it distracting. Someone else may not.That is why people enjoy such a variety of books. Just as much as you took offense at my comments, can you see how I might find yours equally offensive? If I think 'said' is necessary and invisible, and you think it is 'boring,' then you have made a judgment on my writing as well without ever having read it.

Kristen, I'm sorry if you feel offended. That was not my intention. I did take offense from your -- what I perceive to be -- an inflexible stand. When you haul out reference books, yes, I have a tendency to believe you have no room for something new. The ole' rules-are-made-to-be-broken-by-some-of-us-thing. I have previously stated there are certain writing styles where 'said' works and does become invisible, which I enjoy. Why, you have ignored my truth in this matter, I am not sure. I hope, since you now say, you are a writer, that your particular writer's voice is conducive to 'said'. Personally, I've said 'said' so many times now, I am bored with it. As I previously stated, which seems to be ignored, everyone does have their own cup of reading tea, which I totally respect. I am not asking you to like reading my novels, not at all. I simply suggested you check out my post on the dialogue entry for the American Title, that's all. It won't waste too much of your time. And if you want to say you hate it, fine by me. I personally do not care for being accused for what I did not say. Since I take great pains to say it for the sake of truth. If you want to put 'said' in every sentence of your novel, be my guest. I thought I offered a fair and just way for both of us to agree to disagree. You read my dialogue entry and decide for yourself. That's all! However, it's certainly fine by me if you choose not to, since the word 'said', will not be used as a dialogue tag. Every one of us is free to write as we see fit, including said use of 'said', or if we want to use 'boast' we can. Now, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. But I will confess I rather like 'boast'. However, I didn't read the story so I have no way of determining if it worked or not. So, I'll take Mel's word for it.

Listen, my Lovely Big Kitties, it's that naughty Kougar! What's she doing? Meow! Scratch! Hiss! It's the ripping and shredding paper of critiques, the flying use of each tiny slashing claw!

Mystic Kat kisses from the naughty Kougar...

No comments: