Sunday, January 13, 2008

Cougar Spirit Smooches

Well...it's a deep hole...yeah, Big Kittie Lovers, a rumbling ha ha...the Kougar is still padding around her domain, frustration her current companion. Although, her sunset was absolutely exquisite, a blazing luscious shade of pink married to a bright luminous peach -- the gentle slashes of color showing through a thin cloud bank of muted indigo.
Okay...meow, growl...the comment edits on Red Lioness Tamed refuse to show up, and are refusing any kind of document manipulation attempted by moi, despite a tender claw applied. No, not one grumbling cuss word. No, not one vicious hissing fit thrown. Or anything thrown at all. Truly deeply amazing, isn't it? Since the Kougar is a proud red-maned Aries.
And still, not one ounce of friendly cooperation. And yowling-fierce moi has not a clue why -- being technically challenged.
Pet cat...the name of the blog flashing up, just before moi's dashboard came up...message from the giggling mischievous cat angels? Yeah, this Kougar would luv to be a pet to Mr. Right Sexy Hunk. Like the heroes of her sizzle romance novels. Dream on...and on, and on...
However, the Kouar would be remiss if she failed to acknowledge the spirit of Cougar crossing her path several times now. Cougar Spirit showed up big time on Dr. Stephen Farmer's shaman hour on Hayhouse radio.
Cougar Spirit as leadership -- heck, who does the Kougaress lead? All of us Big Cats who aren't computer savvy?
Perhaps, the lightbulb dramatically blinks on! Those of us who choose not use 'said' as a dialogue tag. Yes, the meowing, nay should the Kougaress speak it, the roaring revolution has begun! 'Said' is not the end all, be all of a writer's ability to tag dialogue.
A disclaimer truly meant: That is not to denigrate those writers who successfully use the 'invisible said' writing style. As mewing moi has stated, she has read and thoroughly enjoyed that particular writing style. Sorry to roaring-say, IMHO, that writing style does not work for every writer's voice.

Below is a continuing discussion occurring at the Title Magic blog on that incredibly awful-used dialogue tag...'said'.

I agree, in terms of some writers, who can successfully use 'said' invisibly. And certainly, as Trish demonstrated, a lot of times I don't use tags. I'm sorry, I still HATE the use of 'said' in what I've read over the past ten years. It's like it's been done to over-death. IMHO. However, to each their own cup of reading tea.

To me, Savanna, that's like saying the word 'the' has been done to death or 'and.' There are just some basic words that you have to use in writing that do become 'invisible' to the reader, and that you couldn't really eliminate realistically. I don't think I've ever once been taken out of a book because of the word 'said.' But I most definitely have if a writer uses everything *but* said as a dialogue tag...or use an adverb+said. Ugh."Said" is a basic word that gets the meaning across without detracting from the sentence.

Kristen, while I can understand what you're saying, however and for example, you haven't read the novels I've written, where I don't use 'said' as a dialogue tag. I got so completely sick of that word, I couldn't stand it! I felt like pulling my hair out -- ugh! Because I'd keep asking myself, what does that mean? How are the characters feeling, why and how are they saying their words? Said, said, said...who the heck cares? Not me!

Yes, maybe my novels, or my style of writing, is not for you. That I can understand. Just as over-used and over-abused 'said' novels are not for me. Can you spell B-O-R-I-N-G!?And, that IMHO, is why there is a wide variety of writing styles available.
My lack of 'said' can't have completely turned off editors, since Murder by Hair Spray did final. And I certainly don't use 'said' as a tag line in that novel. When the dialogue entries come out on RT, I'll post mine, and you can then decide whether or not my style of writing is worth your reading time.

Cougar Spirit smooches from the Kougar...

No comments: